By Pastor Clay Smith
Babies go from crawling to walking. Teenagers go from walking to driving. Adults go from driving to praying when their teenagers start to drive. You have a next step, no matter what stage you are in life.
You have a next step spiritually.
It’s up to you to decide if you take or not. If you do, you will grow your soul. If you don’t you will experience frustration with yourself, with others, and with God.
Ever meet someone who is continually frustrated? They did not take the next step God laid before them.
No one can take this next step but you. Your parents can’t do your spiritual journey for you. Neither can your grandparents. A pastor can’t do it for you.
This is a journey you have to do yourself. If you don’t do it, it won’t get done.
So what’s your next step?
God wants you to take that next step. Just like he:
- Invited Abraham to go on a journey to a new land and a new future;
- Invited Moses to go back to Egypt and lead his people;
- Invited David to leave the sheep and be a King.
Jesus wants you to take that next step. Just like he:
- Invited Peter, Andrew, James, and John to leave their nets and become fishers of men;
- Invited Matthew to leave his tax table and follow him;
- Invited Paul to stop persecuting him and his people and be a missionary.
Not everyone accepts the invitation to take a next step:
- The rich young ruler loved his money more than he wanted eternal life (ever wonder what he thinks now?);
- One man volunteered to follow him until he heard there would be no Holiday Inn for the holy;
- Religious leaders wouldn’t follow him because they would lose their power and prestige.
What about you? Are you ready to stop a life of frustration and start taking your next step toward Jesus?